If you visit Chicago and are downtown on the weekend, here’s a spot with lots of local color to try for brunch.
I went to Brunch at Butch McGuire’s Tavern on Rush St. Sunday. The restaurant cum bar is an Irish pub with lots of character. Old time regulars might complain that Butch’s son doesn’t have the same panache or avuncular host/manager, but I’d only gone there a few times and was happy with the atmosphere and service. The bar tenders add a flair with their white shirts and ties, dressing up the place. Yesterday was the last day for the Christmas decorations: colorful, twinkling lights, Disney characters, penguins and a PG-13 Santa.
I had Car Bomb French Toast, thick cut bread dipped in a batter with Bailey’s and Guinness. The syrup was infused with Jameson’s. I couldn’t resist the tongue in cheek name. The French toast didn’t have a strong alcohol taste, though the addition of the whiskey was a good twist.
- Butch McGuire’s Tavern
- Perfect Sunday- Walk and Brunch! (travelwithlaughter.com)
- Best Brunch in Charlotte (apartmentguide.com)
- Jake Gyllenhaal Shares a Sweet Sunday Brunch With His Mom (popsugar.com)
- A Classic Breakfast: French Toast (feedintothefeed.com)
- Brixton Vegan Brunch (lazysmurf.wordpress.com)