Located along a canal in a preserved district, that’s updated with shops and cafés the Mingtown is a great place to stay when visiting Suzhou. It’s within walking distance of the terrific Suzhou Museum, the Humble Administrator’s Garden and several other gardens and sites. The rooms have little touches that evoke Qing dynasty China while offering amenities like computers in the lobby and wifi in the café.
The café offers Western and Chinese food that’s alright, but nothing special. It’s spacious, which would be nice in the summer, but just too drafty when it’s cold.
If you’re in a dorm room, the bathrooms have hot water a few hours in the morning and evening, but not in the middle day.
- Humble Administrator’s Garden (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)
- Suzhou Museum (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)
- You: Savoring embroidery, opera and crafts on ancient Suzhou street (english.people.com.cn)
- Laozi caught flapping his mouth in Suzhou (wantchinatimes.com)
- Exploring paradise Suzhou at night, enjoying class – Jiangsu, China (travelpod.com)